Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Quinoa


Now I love meat as much as the next guy, but it can be expensive. Quinoa is one of the best choices for substituting your source of protein from farm animals, and it is healthier for you. I like to make a big pot with any leftover veg from my refrigerator. It will last me through the week for lunches.

Here is a simple recipe for a typical dish using quinoa. I encourage you guys to try it out!

Quinoa Side Dish

 Ingredients
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1 cup uncooked quinoa
  • 2 cups vegetable broth
  • 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
  • 1/2 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 small onion, finely chopped
  • 1 dash fresh lemon juice (optional)
Directions
  1. Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the quinoa, and toast, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in broth, and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook for 15 minutes, or until quinoa is tender.
  1. In a bowl, toss quinoa together with garlic, parsley, thyme, salt, and onion. Sprinkle with lemon juice, and serve.                 

12 comments:

  1. I am going to cook, all the time now, thanks to this blog :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. I would apologize but this is the nature of my blog :)

      Delete
  3. That looks incredibly tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i will substitute the butter with something vegan and try this :) thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is such a easy and healthy recipe! I will try this sometime...

    ReplyDelete
  6. found you from your twitter;
    quinoa is delicous and nutritious protein!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't like cooking I get to bored but still I like quinoa

    ReplyDelete